Busy weeks call for quick food, and this One Dish Chicken Thighs with Mushroom & Sage Rice is as quick as it gets, while still staying home-made and healthy. The best part about this dish is that there is minimal cleanup, since the entire thing is made using one casserole dish. Which is just about all I can handle some nights, and I’m sure you’ve been there, too.
The past two weeks have been pretty hectic for me. Between traveling, social engagements, working and now moving out of my condo in August, my life has been consumed by scheduling and preparing. So much to do, and so little time!
I wrote my last recipe post, Baked Parmesan Turkey Meatballs, mid-flight to Chicago. I was traveling for work to the IFT (Institute of Food Technologists) conference, where I got to see a lot of new food innovations and try a ton of new flavors, colors and spice blends. In short, my fiancé Andrew can with me, and we had a blast!
By the way, I probably have the coolest job ever.
I also made it to a little place called Chicago Pizza (and by “made it”, I really mean ran there from the airport with open arms), where they have dedicated gluten free pizza equipment. The Chicago-style deep dish pizza was delicious, and I give it two gluten-free thumbs up. It was great getting to try out one of the most iconic dishes in the city. We probably walked 20 miles in the five days we were there, and Andrew got a ton of great photos.
Here are a few of Andrew’s photos from our trip! The first one is my favorite.
I hope you enjoyed these pictures, I know I did!
But I’m really sure you’re going to love this chicken dish as much as my family does. I actually haven’t found someone who doesn’t like it yet (mushroom-haters aside, because who has time for that kind of negativity in their life, right?). The crispy skin of the chicken thighs and the savory flavor of the rice really hits the spot, and all without much effort in the kitchen. And just a quick tip, if you can find Better Than Bullion brand in your local store, use that for the broth. It is my favorite by far.
This is way too delicious…
So, without further adieu, I give you One Dish Chicken Thighs with Mushroom and Sage Rice!
- 8 pieces chicken thighs with skin and bone
- 2 1/2 cups instant rice white or brown
- 2 1/2 cups broth vegetable or chicken
- 1/2 cup white wine dry
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 medium lemon juice only
- 1 medium vidalia onion chopped
- 8 oz white mushrooms chopped
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions chopped (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a lightly greased casserole dish combine rice, olive oil, white wine, lemon juice, onion, mushrooms, sage, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper. Add broth and spread evenly in dish.
- Place chicken thighs over rice, leaving a little bit of space between each piece. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Place dish in oven (uncovered) and bake for about 45 minutes, or until chicken thighs are cooked through and crispy on top. When done, top with chopped green onions and serve.