Slow Cooker Corned Beef And Cabbage
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef And Cabbage is a traditional Irish-American St. Patrick’s Day dish. Salted beef is simmered in the slow cooker along with potatoes, carrots, onion, and cabbage. Peppercorns and spices give this dish the traditional flavor we’ve all come to know and love!
St. Patrick’s Day is getting close, and I know my family will be serving up slow cooker corned beef and cabbage. But this year, Andrew and I will be hosting St. Patrick’s day at our place, which means I’ll be using my slow cooker like it’s going out of style!
Corned beef and cabbage is something I always grew up eating around this holiday. For my family, St. Patrick’s Day is a lot more than dressing up in green and bar hopping. It’s a time for a big dinner, and spending time with family. I remember my parents breaking out the biggest pot they owned, and basically boiling all of the food together for hours. The house smelled amazing, and the food was always even better.
In fact, it wasn’t until I got to college that I really started going out for St. Patrick’s Day. But to be honest, that’s not what St. Patrick’s Day means to me. It’s about family. And I know that the family dinner, and this slow cooker corned beef and cabbage, are traditions that I’ll be continuing for a long time to come.
For this recipe, I put everything in the slow cooker except for the cabbage. I cut it up and put it aside, so it’s ready to go. But I’ll let the corned beef cook with potatoes and veggies all day, then take the meat out and add the cabbage in for another half hour or so. Until the cabbage is soft, but still slightly crunchy. Which is basically the perfect way to eat cabbage, just in case you didn’t know.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 lbs corned beef
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into quarters
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp pickling spices, (the packet usually comes with the beef)
- Place corned been, spices, onion, carrots, and potatoes in slow cooker. Fill slow cooker with water until it covers other ingredients.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 8 hours, or until beef is cooked through and potatoes can easily be cut with a fork.
- Once done, remove beef and place cabbage in slow cooker. Cook an additional 20-30 minutes, or until cabbage is soft.
- Drain water before serving.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.