Instant Pot Apple Butter – Homemade!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Apple Butter is really simple to make, made with fresh green apples, brown sugar, and fall spices like cinnamon and allspice. It’s perfect for fall baking, or giving as holiday gifts!
Instant Pot Apple Butter – Homemade!
Instant Pot Apple Butter is one of my fall favorites made with fresh apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and allspice. It makes your entire house smell heavenly, and makes the perfect gift for the holidays! I like to make a big batch of apple butter on the weekend, then use it to make and freeze some baked goods for the upcoming holidays.
What do you do with apple butter?
Apple butter goes great when spread on toast or muffins. You can also use it as a topping for french toast or pancakes. And because this is essentially concentrated applesauce, apple butter makes a great addition to pork chops or as a marinade for pork! I also use this apple butter as a pie filling (with a few other ingredients).
How do I thicken apple butter?
Apple butter is concentrated applesauce, so after pressure cooking, you want to simmer the apple butter over medium-low heat until it is the desired consistency. The water will cook off and the apple butter will get thicker and thicker. This can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how juicy your apples were to begin with.
How long does homemade apple butter last?
Homemade apple butter will last in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for about a week. You can also freeze apple butter for 1-2 months. If you want it to last longer, or give it as gifts, you can use the canning method to preserve your homemade apple butter.
Tips for How to Make Instant Pot Apple Butter
- I like to use a blend of brown sugar and white sugar for my homemade apple butter. But you can also use natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, or molasses.
- Make no peel instant pot apple butter by leaving the skins of the apple on, and just removing the core. It adds some texture and fiber to your apple butter, plus a few extra nutrients!
- Make this same recipe using pears for Instant Pot Pear Butter!
- Add about 1/3 of the sugar, then cook the apples on the saute feature for about 10 minutes to make instant pot applesauce.
- If you’re going to can this apple butter recipe, you have to cook your apple butter to certain temperatures for food safety. They sell canning appliances now that make the whole process really easy. I just wanted you to be aware that there are extra steps in the process.
How to Make Crockpot Apple Butter
You can also make apple butter in the crockpot! It’s not as fast as the instant pot, but it’s great for when you’re busy and can’t attend to it right away.
- Combine the apples, sugar, lemon juice, water, and spices in the slow cooker. Set on low for 10 hours, then remove the lid and cook uncovered for an additional 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Puree with an immersion blender, or ladle into a regular blender and puree.
- Refrigerate for up to a week, or freeze for 1-2 months.
Instant Pot Apple Butter
- 5 1/2 pounds granny smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Instant Pot
- Add apples, water, and lemon juice to the instant pot. Close the lid and seal the pressure valve. Set manual on high for 20 minutes. Allow the pot to naturally release, about 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the apples until they look more like a sauce. Add sugar, vanilla, and spices. Turn on the saute feature and cook the apple butter uncovered for another 25-30 minutes, or until it thickens enough to be spreadable, stirring occasionally.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.