Green Monster Smoothie w/Chia Seeds is a healthy green smoothie to kickstart your year on the right foot. It’s loaded with healthy spinach, nutrient-packed chia seeds, creamy peanut butter, almond milk, nonfat yogurt, and a sweet banana. It’s perfect for breakfast or as a mid-afternoon snack!
Raise your hand if you overindulged over the holidays! Ok, so that’s pretty much all of us. Including me, I won’t lie. I’m pretty sure I’ve made more batches of cookies than I can count in the past three months. And while it’s perfectly fine to indulge during the holidays, it’s also important to get back on track once they’re over.
That’s why I’ve been enjoying this Green Monster Smoothie w/Chia Seeds. It’s packed full of healthy nutrients from wholesome ingredients like spinach, chia seeds, banana and yogurt. There’s also a kick of protein from peanut butter, which makes this smoothie taste more like a peanut butter banana smoothie than greens!
Speaking of holidays being over, I’m writing this post (while sipping this green monster smoothie) in front of my still-standing Christmas tree, with my cat Jupiter sleeping on top of his new toy. Here’s my favorite photo of him enjoying the catnip we sprinkled on it.
We still haven’t gotten around to taking down all of our decorations. This year just seemed like a whirlwind of things to do and places to be. That, and Andrew is insisting that the decorations don’t come down for at least 12 days after Christmas. Is that really a thing?
Yet somehow we’ve managed to get everything done, and life can calm down to normal once more. It’s the perfect time of year for a little bit of me time. Or, we time, since it’s both me and Andrew.
I started a new fitness routine in the end of November, and I’ve been very diligent about going to the gym several times a week. Andrew has even joined me, being supportive in my fitness goals. I’m doing Jamie Eason’s Livefit Trainer, and so far I love it! But now that I’m on month two, it is kicking my butt a little bit.
That’s why I really need to start focusing on wholesome, nutritious foods. Without them, I’m not sure I’ll be able to get through my workouts!
And I’m 100% focused on achieving my goals. This is not just a New Year’s resolution for me, since it technically started a month beforehand, but it’s also about much more than that. My health, which I’ve promised myself will be prioritized this year.
And this Green Monster Smoothie is the perfect thing to do just that!
The best part about the green monster smoothie – and one of the reasons I love love love it – is that while it looks green, it doesn’t taste green. You’re going to get all of the benefits of a green smoothie, with the flavors of banana and peanut butter. Personally, I don’t like things too sweet, so I used plain yogurt here. But if you want to kick the flavor and sweetness up a bit, you can definitely add some vanilla flavored yogurt instead of plain.
5 Smoothies for After You’re Done With Green Monster Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake – Here’s one with a few more calories than the green monster smoothie. It’s perfect for when you’ve been doing an intense workout routine and you need something extra. Or for when you just feel like having some chocolate and peanut butter in your life!
- Breakfast Pumpkin Pie Smoothie – This one tastes just like pumpkin pie, but with way fewer calories! It’s pretty much the best way to have dessert for breakfast, while still keeping it nutritious.
- Here is a Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie Bowl from Noshtastic (another gluten free blogger). It’s full of fresh fruit and topped with coconut and granola.
- Pineapple Banana Chia Smoothie from La Petite Chef may just be the next love of my life. Chia seeds are nutrient-packed, and the pineapple-banana combination sounds like tropical smoothie heaven.
- This Avocado Kale Breakfast Smoothie from This Girl’s Recipes looks super easy to make, with only four ingredients!
I definitely plan on including more wholesome and nutritious recipes on my blog coming up in the future. Don’t worry, I still have a few indulgent things in mind (ahem, Nutella cookies). But I’ll be adding a more healthy things into the mix that I think you’re really going to enjoy. I know I will!
Happy New Year, I hope 2017 is the best one yet!
Green Monster Smoothie w/Chia Seeds is a healthy green smoothie to kickstart your year on the right foot. It's loaded with healthy spinach, nutrient-packed chia seeds, creamy peanut butter, almond milk, nonfat yogurt, and a sweet banana. It's perfect for breakfast or as a mid-afternoon snack!
- 2 cups spinach leaves fresh
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt fat free
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until thoroughly combined. Serve cold.
Use vanilla yogurt for a sweeter smoothie.