Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Crispy Air Fryer French Fries are crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, and incredibly satisfying in that salty-savory kind of way. You won’t believe how easy it is to make crispy french fries in the air fryer with a few simple tricks!
I’m all about the air fryer right now, which is why I’m starting up this series. Check out my other popular air fryer recipes, Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, and Air Fryer Steak!
Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
Crispy Air Fryer French Fries are an incredibly easy low fat version of your favorite diner food, made with only a light coating of olive oil and a dash of sea salt. They’re crispy and golden brown on the outside, satisfying the crunchy snack craving, while being warm and fluffy on the inside.
I added just a touch of sea salt, but you can add any other seasonings you want, plus a little something to dip them in on the side! Check out my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries for an awesome dijonnaise recipe to dip them in, too!
How long do you cook fries in the air fryer?
Air fryer french fries will cook in about 20 minutes, depending on how thick you cut your fries, and if they were frozen when you put them in there. I cut mine on the thinner side, which also helps them crisp up better! They were ready to go in 20 minutes.
If your fries are frozen, or a thicker cut, you may be looking at 30-40 minutes. The important part is that you take them out about every 5 minutes to shake the basket. If you’ve ever had someone tell you that the air fryer doesn’t make fries crispy, it’s because they didn’t follow this step!
Are air fried fries healthy?
Yes and no. Air fried fries are healthier then their alternative, fully fried golden morsels of deliciousness. But you’re still eating potatoes here, which are a higher calorie starch. So while you can enjoy them will less guilt then their counterparts, let’s still keep everything in moderation.
It’s hard, I know. I ate the whole thing… by accident.
How do you cook frozen french fries in the air fryer?
If you take frozen french fries straight into the air fryer, you may have to increase the cooking time slightly. Give them a little spray of olive oil, tossing to coat, then add them to the fryer. Make sure to shake the basket about every 5 minutes or so, to get the air circulating around everything evenly.
What to serve with air fryer french fries…
- Buffalo Turkey Burger
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Oven Baked Coconut Shrimp
- Almond Crusted Tilapia
- Smoked BBQ Ribs
Why do you soak french fries in water before frying?
Soaking homemade french fries in water before frying (or air frying) them is a critical step that’s often overlooked. Soaking them in water helps remove some of the starch in the potato, which is the trick to getting incredibly crispy fries! You just have to make sure they’re completely dry before you add any oil, otherwise they’ll end up soggy.
Alternatively, if you’re cutting enough fries to freeze for later, you can blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes, then into an ice bath, then dry them before freezing. When you defrost them, you can go straight to the air fryer instead of soaking them again.
Tips for making Air Fryer French Fries
- I just added salt, but you can add any seasoning you like! Try cayenne pepper for some heat, or curry powder for a fun twist!
- Shaking the basket is the trick to getting air fryer french fries crispy. If you only learn one thing from this post, make it that. Don’t skip the shaking! Or you will end up with sad, droopy fries.
- You have to add a little bit of oil to whatever you’re putting in the air fryer. That’s how things end up delicious. All you need is a really light coating though, so don’t go crazy! We’re still trying to be healthy here!
Air Fryer French Fries
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into thin fries
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a large bowl, cover the fries with water and soak for 30 minutes. Drain, and lay the fries out on a paper towel and let dry. Once they are drying, preheat the air fryer to 390F.
- One fries are dry, toss them with the olive oil, and add to the air fryer basket. Set for 20 minutes, taking the basket out and shaking it at 5 minute intervals. Once they're done, sprinkle with salt and serve.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.