Italian Dressing Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Italian Dressing Chicken is an EASY weeknight dinner, made with only 3 ingredients in one baking dish and ready in 1 hour!
I love easy dinner recipes on weeknights. For more ideas, check out these Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Thighs, Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes, and BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast!
Italian Dressing Chicken is a really easy weeknight dinner, using only chicken breasts, Italian salad dressing, and gluten free breadcrumbs (optional). Italian dressing is my favorite chicken marinade, because I always have some in the refrigerator, and it adds a ton of flavor.
You can also make this using a packet of Italian seasoning and chicken broth or vegetable broth (just check to make sure your ingredients are gluten free). This is the perfect dish to meal prep for lunches, too!
Some of my favorite side dish recipes to serve with this are Instant Pot Green Beans, and Crispy Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Chicken. This recipe is made using boneless skinless chicken breast. You can also use other cuts of chicken, like thighs or drumsticks. Just adjust the cooking time based on the size and type of chicken.
Italian Dressing. You don’t need to season chicken ahead of time, because the dressing works as an Italian chicken marinade! You can use store-bought or homemade Italian dressing for this recipe. Just make sure it’s gluten free.
Gluten Free Breadcrumbs. This ingredient is optional, I like to add a little bit of a crispy topping to the chicken. You can use plain or seasoned breadcrumbs. If you don’t have any, you can leave this out.
How to Make Italian Dressing Chicken
- Add the uncooked chicken breasts to a large ziplock bag. Pour the Italian dressing over the chicken, seal the bag and place it into the refrigerator. Marinate the chicken for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a deep baking dish and place chicken breasts into the dish, pouring the Italian dressing from the bag over the chicken.
- Top the chicken evenly with breadcrumbs. Lightly spray the breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake the chicken for 40-45 minutes, or until it’s cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F on a meat thermometer. Add salt and black pepper to taste. If you want the topping to be more golden brown, broil the chicken for an additional minute.
Homemade Italian Chicken Marinade
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in a mixing bowl. The vinegar and oil will separate, so whisk together again right before adding to the chicken. For an extra kick, add a teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Store any leftover dressing (that has NOT touched raw chicken) in a glass jar in the refrigerator for about a week (2-3 days if you used fresh garlic cloves).
Frequently Asked Questions
You can marinate chicken in Italian dressing for up to 24 hours, but not longer than that. Personally, I think putting the chicken in the Italian dressing for a few hours is enough time for flavor.
Italian chicken goes really well with a starch like rice or mashed potatoes, and something light like Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli or a fresh green salad.
Refrigerate leftover Italian dressing chicken in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Freeze the chicken in an airtight container for 2-3 months.
More Chicken Recipes
- One Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken with Yellow Rice
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Sheet Pan Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
- The Italian dressing works as a marinade for chicken, but if you don’t have time for that step you can just pour it over the chicken and bake it immediately.
- Instead of baked chicken, you can remove the chicken from marinade and cook on a hot grill. The Italian dressing will add a lot of flavor to grilled chicken!
- This recipe is great with the Italian flavor, but also works with other vinaigrette dressings.
- The breadcrumb topping is optional. You can also mix the breadcrumbs with a few tablespoons of parmesan cheese for an even more delicious flavor! The parmesan cheese will get brown and bubbly on top of the chicken. Broil it for 1-2 minutes for a crispy parmesan crust.
- You can use other pieces of chicken, like drumsticks, chicken thighs, or chicken wings. I prefer skinless boneless chicken, but if your piece has bones and chicken skin it’ll work, too.
- Use the extra chicken to make this Rotisserie Chicken Salad recipe!
If you loved this recipe, be sure to leave a 5 Star review below, and tag me with a photo of your finished recipe on Instagram @Jacqui_DishingDelish!
Italian Dressing Chicken
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing, gluten free
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs, plain
- 1 baking dish
- Add chicken breasts to a large ziplock bag. Pour Italian dressing over the chicken, seal the bag and place it into the refrigerator. Marinate the chicken for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking dish and place chicken breasts into the dish, pouring the Italian dressing from the bag over the chicken.
- Top the chicken evenly with breadcrumbs and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. For a more crispy topping, broil the chicken for an additional minute, watching closely so it doesn't burn.
- If you don’t have time to marinate, you can just pour it over the chicken and bake immediately.
- Instead of baked chicken, you can remove the chicken from marinade and cook on the grill.
- The breadcrumb topping is optional. You can also mix the breadcrumbs with a few tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.