Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Ah, chicken soup. The original comfort food.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup really brings me back to my childhood. This recipe comes to you courtesy of my dad, with some slight adaptations on my part. Dad traditionally served his without salt, leeks or a parmesan rind, which I think give the soup a boost of flavor. I remember many cold winter days, coming home to a house full of the most wonderful, savory aroma and eagerly anticipating dinner to be served. There’s nothing quite like chicken soup to boost your mood and bring you back to that place of comfort and well being.
My dad loves making soups and stews, especially with chicken or venison. To make dinnertime even better, everything gets made (and served) in this awesome camouflage slow cooker, and I’ll even admit that this thing does an awesome job.
It’s ok to be jealous.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. If you’re not partial to carrots, you can also add other root vegetables, butternut squash, kale or spinach to this soup. And thanks to the camouflage slow cooker, you can anticipate many hearty soup and stew recipes coming your way in the future.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- 5 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- 8 cups water
- 3 medium leeks, washed and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 medium onion, white or yellow, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tbsp parsley, dried
- 2 tsp thyme, dried
- 2 tsp kosher salt, more or less to taste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 parmesan rind, (optional)
- Slow Cooker
- Place whole chicken and water in slow cooker. Chicken should be just covered in water. Add more as needed. Place lid on slow cooker and set to high heat for 4 hours, or until chicken is falling apart.
- Once chicken is falling apart, remove from slow cooker and move to cutting board. Skim any pieces left in the broth out with a spoon.
- Add leeks, carrots, onions, celery and garlic to slow cooker.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle (about 5 minutes), remove chicken meat from bones and dice into small pieces. Discard extra skin and bones. Add diced chicken back into slow cooker.
- Add bay leaves, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and parmesan rind to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 1 hour, or until carrots are soft.
- Discard bay leaves, season with additional salt and pepper as needed and serve while hot.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.