Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Soft, moist and chocolatey goodness in this gluten free banana bread recipe!
If you’re like me and you have a bowl of poor, sad-looking bananas turning brown before your eyes with no hopes of being eaten in sight, then you’ve come to the right place. I don’t know what it is about bananas, but I just can’t keep them from ripening faster than I can eat them. Is it just me, or are they not lasting quite as long this year?
That’s alright, we’re turning these lemons into lemonade.
Or, more exactly, we’re turning these bananas into banana bread.
There’s something about baking bananas that really brings out their true flavor. The taste comes through in all its banana-goodness and delivers a sweetness that is uniquely its own. The key to having truly great banana bread is a simple one:
Make. It. Yourself.
(Or, have someone make it for you, but what fun is that?)
You could buy banana bread at the store. Crumbling, flavorless, dry banana bread.
…If you really want to (please don’t).
But you’re never going to find the amazing, natural banana-y flavor you could easily and quickly accomplish in your own kitchen. When you make banana bread yourself, you also get the chance to experiment and come up with all kinds of delicious versions.
Like this easy banana bread with cocoa powder and chocolate chips, inspired by those frozen chocolate banana recipes that keep popping up this summer. It’s gluten free, but you won’t even know the difference. Seriously, my non-gluten free fiancé Andrew ate about half of it without knowing it was gluten free.
Tip! If you’re going to make banana bread using regular all-purpose flour, use 1 1/2 cups instead of the amount listed below.
And while we’re on the topic of gluten free chocolate chip banana bread, check out this gluten free chocolate chip banana pudding!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour, gluten free
- 3-4 bananas, ripe, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mash bananas in a mixing bowl with a potato masher or a fork until smooth. Add egg and melted better and stir together.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cocoa powder, salt, sugar and chocolate chips).
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix until all ingredients are combined. Stir in walnuts (optional). Pour into lightly greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until top of bread is firm and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool before serving.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.