Mom’s Red Potato Salad Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
This potato salad recipe is a favorite of my mother’s and I’m sure it will become one of your favorites, too! There’s something nostalgic about summertime food. Maybe it’s eating outside in the warm breeze with the smell of the grill, maybe it’s the longer days. Either way, this recipe brings me back, and I hope you’ll enjoy it just as much.
Mom's Red Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 lbs red potatoes, cleaned
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 pieces bacon, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp vinegar, white
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground basil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces and place in large pot. Fill pot with water until potatoes are covered and place over medium heat. Add kosher salt to water and potatoes.
- Cook potatoes until tender and fork goes through easily. Be careful not to overcook, potatoes should still be slightly firm. Drain water from potatoes and set aside until cool.
- Place bacon in skillet over medium heat until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Flip bacon half way through. Bacon is finished when crispy. When cooled, chop bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- When potatoes are cooled, add in vinegar, chopped celery and chopped onion. Stir together.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried parsley and ground basil. Add mixture and chopped bacon to potatoes. Stir together until everything is combined.
- Store potato salad in refrigerator until cold, about an hour.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.