Apple Butter Pie – Gluten Free!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Apple Butter Pie is a sweet and creamy custard made out of evaporated milk, apple butter, brown sugar, and spices in a gluten free pie crust. It’s a lot like pumpkin pie, but with the flavor of apple butter!
Fall is finally here, which means it’s just about pie season! If you’re looking for some more great gluten free pie options, check out my Homemade Pumpkin Pie & Streusel Topping, Homemade Apple Pie Filling, and my Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake!
Apple Butter Pie – Gluten Free!
Apple Butter Pie is one of my husband’s favorite gluten free pies! I make this with my homemade instant pot apple butter, but you can use store bought if you don’t have time to make it yourself. I also used my gluten free pie crust recipe for the crust here. You can also switch up the spices to suite your own taste! I used pumpkin pie spice, but you can also use apple pie spice, or just a dash of cinnamon if you want more of the apple butter flavor to come through.
My husband loves apple butter pie. Wait, maybe love isn’t a strong enough word. He lurves apple butter pie. So this is what I make, every holiday, like clockwork. I like to make my own apple butter, because the instant pot is really fast to make it. But the trick is that I make a big batch, then freeze it for when pie season rolls around!
What is apple butter?
The best description I can give apple butter is that it is concentrated applesauce. You can pour applesauce, but you can spread apple butter. Apple butter is also higher in sugar, because it’s so concentrated, so it’s great to use in pies!
Can you make apple butter pie ahead?
You can make apple butter pie ahead of time and freeze it. This is perfect for when you’re busy over the holidays, because you can make it on your day off and save it for a month or two. Wrap it really tightly in plastic wrap, then in tinfoil before you freeze it, to make sure any air doesn’t get inside. Defrost in the refrigerator the night before.
Tips for How to Make Apple Butter Pie
- Take the pie out of the oven when the outside is firm, but the middle still has a little bit of a jiggle. The middle will keep cooking while the pie is hot! But if you leave it in the oven too long, it will overcook.
- You can use this same recipe with regular pie crust if you don’t need gluten free.
- You can add a pie crust layer on top of this pie if you want to. Some people add crumble topping, too. I like to keep it simple, though.
- Top apple butter pie with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
- You can do an egg wash on the pie crust if you want to add a golden brown color. Whisk together one egg and a splash of water. Use a pastry brush to lightly brush the rim of the pie with egg. Bake as usual.
More Gluten Free Recipes
- Gluten Free Blueberry Cobbler
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Slow Cooker Apple Crisp
- Avocado Brownies
- Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
Apple Butter Pie - Gluten Free!
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, and apple butter. Whisk in evaporated milk, pumpkin pie spice, and gluten free flour.
- Pour filling into pie crust. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until pie is firm on the outside, but slightly jiggles in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.