Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
If you’re not sure what to make for dinner tonight, or just don’t have a lot of time to spend cooking tonight, this Chicken Enchiladas Recipe should definitely be added to your go-to weeknight dinner rotation. It’s a great crowd pleaser and can be made gluten-free (I used Toufayan Gluten Free Tortillas for the ones pictured below, but you can use any big tortilla you have. I also used white rice flour for the sauce). I also strongly recommend using a brand called Better Than Bouillon, this is my all-time favorite broth base. I switched most of my recipes to this and it definitely made a positive difference in flavor.
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 12 large large gluten free tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- 3 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 3 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until chicken is just cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add onion and bell pepper to sauté pan and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, bell pepper, onion and 1 tbsp of shredded cheese to each tortilla, dividing evenly. Roll each enchilada around filling and place with seams facing down in an 8x10 greased baking dish.
- Add butter to sauté pan over medium-high heat. When butter melts, add flour and stir until flour is mixed in.
- Slowly stir in broth. Add garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Add diced tomatoes with chiles and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Remove from heat once this comes to a boil.
- Add greek yogurt and stir until evenly combined with sauce. Pour sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Add remaining shredded cheese to top of enchiladas.
- Bake enchiladas for 20-25 minutes at 400°F, or until cheese is melted and top of enchiladas look toasted.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.