Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is rich and creamy, made with chicken breast slow cooked in a savory tomato base with spices, yogurt, onion, and bell pepper, topped with fresh cilantro and served over rice.
Slow cooker chicken tikka masala is one of my all-time favorite slow cooker chicken recipes. Everything is added to the slow cooker (except for the cream and cilantro), and it simmers for hours for a full savory and creamy flavor and texture. This dish is served over basmati rice, or with gluten free bread (or gluten free naan if you have it). This is the perfect way to enjoy takeout food without having to worry if it’s gluten free, too!
I highly recommend serving this with basmati rice, cilantro and a big scoop of plain yogurt on top. That’s just how I like it, I’m sure you’ll find your own way of enjoying your slow cooker chicken tikka masala. Basmati rice is amazingly aromatic and has a nutty flavor, and it might become your favorite rice, too!
You can sub coconut milk for the heavy cream, and it will come out just as delicious. Maybe even a little sweeter than the recipe below. Keep in mind that the addition of cayenne pepper can add a big kick to this dish, so use sparingly. Unless you like your food with plenty of heat (in which case, I love you). You, my spicy pioneer, can add an additional tsp of cayenne. I made mine with 2 tsp, but we love spicy in this household.
I don’t know about you, but that’s pretty much all I need in my life right now.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala isn’t exactly traditional Indian cuisine. I believe it really gained its popularity in the UK. In fact, there are some rumors that this dish was actually developed by a Pakistani chef living in the UK, and can even be considered a British national dish. Others claim it came from the British-Bangladeshi community.
More Gluten Free Indian Dishes
- Paneer Stuffed Croquettes from Ruchi’s Kitchen. I would probably eat a whole plate of these myself.
- Coconut Rice from Divya’s Tasty Recipes. You definitely need rice to soak up all the sauce from these dishes!
- Slow Cooker Spicy Madras Vegetable Curry with Coconut Milk from Boulder Locavore.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 29 oz can tomato puree
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 medium lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 lbs chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (for garnish)
- Slow Cooker
- In a large mixing bowl stir together yogurt, tomato puree, lemon juice, tomato paste, olive oil, garam masala, ground ginger, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, sugar, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional).
- Add onions, bell pepper and bay leaves and mix in until well combined. Pour into slow cooker, then add chicken, stirring until chicken is well-coated with sauce. Add butter on top of chicken mixture (it will melt and mix in as it cooks).
- Cover slow cooker and cook on Low for 8 hours OR on High for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- About 20 minutes before the slow cooker is done, whisk together cornstarch and heavy cream. Add this to the slow cooker while stirring. Cover slow cooker again and allow to finish cooking. You may want to begin cooking rice at this time.
- When dish is done cooking, remove bay leaves and garnish with cilantro. Serve over rice.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.
We love Indian food and everytime I see a recipe I want to try (like this one!) I say Oh I can’t wait to make this! And then I never do. I absolutely MUST change that. Love the use of the slow cooker, too. That makes it double appealing for me because I heart my slow cooker.
Definitely try this one, the slow cooker makes it so easy! My household loves Indian food, too!
This looks delicious and is one of my family’s favourites.
Thanks! Tikka Masala is one of my family’s favorites, too. Isn’t it great to come home to a warm slow cooker full of it? 🙂
We love Chicken Tikka and we love slow cooked meals. Love the combination of spices that you have used. I will need to pull out the slow cooker and give it a try.
Must make soon! I love chicken tikka masala and slow cooker recipes are such a lifesaver – this is going to be a winner! Pinning now! Thanks for sharing!
Sounds fantastic and so easy to make! Love a good slow cooker meal!
I’m already starting to dream about fall foods, this is perfect!
Me too! only a month left until I can start making all of the savory comfort food that fall brings! So excited!
This dish looks amazing!! I have never heard of doing this in a slow cooker .. what a great idea! I can’t wait to try this!!
I think I would really love Indian food as well. I love spice but in Iowa it is few and far between! This looks really yummers. I am pinning! Thanks.
Thanks for linking up at #HomeMattersParty!
I recently was gifted a slow cooker, and I regularly cook BBQ chicken in it. This dish looks so good, I can see this becoming one of my favourites!
Oh, what a great gift! My slow cooker is my favorite kitchen appliance by far! There are so many great recipes out there. Let me know what you think of this chicken tikka, I’d love to hear the feedback 🙂
Slow cooker?!?! Um, YES! We use our slow cooker all. the. time. and this would be an amazing addition to our list of SC dinners.
My fiancé and I ate the whole thing lol. It’s delish, I hope you like it, too! Let me know 🙂