Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – Gluten Free!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is a really easy and indulgent version of my favorite banana bread, made with gluten free cup-for-cup flour, mashed bananas, cinnamon, nutmeg, and gooey chocolate chips!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – Gluten Free!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is one of my favorite gluten free breads to make, because the banana keeps it incredibly moist and crumble-free! Plus, it’s full of chocolate chips, which is just a win-win situation all around. I used cinnamon and nutmeg for this banana bread, but you can use any of the fall seasonings you’d like. Try pumpkin spice, allspice, or even cloves! You can also make this exact same recipe using regular flour if you don’t need gluten free.
How do you keep the chocolate chips from sinking in banana bread?
Keep the chocolate chips from sinking in banana bread by coating them lightly in flour before adding them into the batter. Stir them in last, just before pouring into the pan to bake. The flour will keep your chocolate chips suspended.
Can frozen bananas be used for baking?
Frozen bananas can be used for baking! If I have some bananas going bad and I know I won’t have time to bake, I’ll freeze them in plastic ziplock bags for later. Just remember to peel the bananas first, and take them out to defrost in the refrigerator the night before, prior to baking.
Tips for How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Substitute the chocolate chips for white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips for a different flavor.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts for some crunch and nutty flavor in the bread.
- You can omit the chocolate chips altogether in this recipe to make regular banana bread.
- The same rule applies to banana bread that applies to muffins: Don’t over-mix the dough! I don’t even use a stand mixer for this recipe, because I don’t want to risk over-mixing. Just use a spatula and lightly fold everything together, until you can just see the flour is totally wet.
- Use this same recipe to make banana bread muffins! Just shorten the cooking time to about 20 minutes, depending on the size of your muffins.
- This chocolate chip banana bread uses no butter! But if you want to add the fat back, just substitute the applesauce for butter.
- Serve chocolate chip banana bread toasted with some cream cheese or butter for the best thing you’ve ever tasted. Ever.
Why is my banana bread flat?
There are a few things that can flatten banana bread. The most common is using either too much, or too old, leavening agents (baking powder and baking soda). Make sure your baking powder says “double acting” on the front, and that it is fresh.
Why does my banana bread not cook in the middle?
Your banana bread did not cook in the middle because your oven temperature is off, and cooking too hot. The outside cooks too fast, leaving the inside raw while the outside starts to burn. You can sometimes save your chocolate chip bread by covering it in tinfoil (carefully, with oven mitts!), and lowering your oven temperature.
Try using an oven thermometer to check and see if the oven is cooking at the same temperature you set it. This is a really common problem in baking.
Why is my banana bread sinking in the middle?
If your chocolate chip banana bread sinks in the middle, it’s possible that the leavening agents were measured wrong. The bread can also be undercooked.
How do I know when my chocolate chip banana bread is done?
Your chocolate chip banana bread is done when you can poke a toothpick into the middle and it comes out clean. Pro Tip: Avoid the chocolate chips, or it’ll come out chocolate-y, even if it’s done.
How can you tell if banana bread is done without a toothpick?
You can tell if banana bread is done without a toothpick by using a fork. It won’t be the prettiest thing, and there will be 4 holes instead of one, but it works in a pinch! Once you make this kind of bread a few times and you’re familiar with it, you’ll be able to tell by just touching the top of the loaf lightly and feeling how it springs back.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread - Gluten Free!
- 2 cups gluten free cup-for-cup all-purpose flour, (plus 1 tbsp for dusting chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- bread pan
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a bread pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips and additional 1 tbsp of flour). Add all of the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then use a spoon to mix together until just combined.
- In another small bowl, stir together chocolate chips and 1 tbsp flour to coat the chips. Gently stir chocolate chips into banana bread batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.