Chocolate Orange Bars Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
I’m about to share with you one of my all-time favorite recipes to bring to parties or serve at family get-together. These sweet, creamy, delicious chocolatey-orange bars are always a hit with my taste-testers, and sometimes a good bribe (you know, just in case…). You can use regular all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour, this recipe works at a 1-1 ratio so use what you need to. I like these bars best when they’re cold from being in the refrigerator for a few hours, but my fiancé really likes to eat them right out of the oven. Just remember if you decorate them right out of the oven, the powdered sugar will melt and not look as pretty.
Chocolate Orange Bars
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp all purpose gluten free flour
- 2 tbsp orange zest, (about one orange)
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp orange zest, (optional)
- 9 x 13" baking dish
Prepare the Crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x13 inch baking dish (if it is not non-stick).
- Mix flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a mixing bowl until combined.
- Cut in butter, or use a cheese grater and grate butter into bowl. Using your hands, work flour and butter together until combined into a crumbly dough.
- Place dough in greased baking pan and evenly distribute, pressing down with your hands until you have about a 1/4-1/2 inch crust on the bottom of the dish. Place this in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove crust from refrigerator and bake in oven for about 15 minutes, or until crust begins to turn golden brown. Once you see this, remove crust from oven and set aside. You can begin preparing your filling while this is baking.
Prepare the Filling
- Crack four eggs into mixing bowl. Whisk in sugar and flour until combined.
- Whisk remaining ingredients (orange zest, orange juice, orange extract, milk and salt) into egg mixture until combined.
- Pour topping mixture over warm crust an return to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until center of the bars is just firm to the touch, and remove from oven.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of bars while still warm, allowing the chocolate to melt.
- After bars are cool, sprinkle (or sift, if you have a sifter) powdered sugar on top of bars. Add orange zest decoratively around on top and cut into bars.
- Eat those delicious, delicious bars immediately. Or share them. Or not. We won't tell.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.
These are amazing. You can play around a little bit with the orange juice/orange extract to get more or less of an orange-y taste, but however you tweak it, this is a fantastic recipe. Not too tough to make, and a huge crowd-pleaser.
Thanks, so glad you liked them!
I just made them. My new favorite dessert! Just like a chocolate orange.
You cannot go past the combination of chocolate and orange – these sound delicious!!
Thanks! This is definitely one of my favorite dessert recipes.
Yum! I love the orange chocolate flavour combination! Ooh I think I have to agree with your fiancé – these would be so good straight out of the oven!! Thanks for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party xx
Thanks! And also for letting me take part in Fabulous Foodie Fridays, it was awesome! I’d love to come back this Friday, too!
I love chocolate and orange and these sound fantastic!
Your food photos look amazing! It’s really appealing… they are bad for my diet:)
Thanks so much! 🙂