Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes are what happens when sweet chocolate cake mixes with peppermint and sweet cream cheese frosting. Topped with crushed peppermint candies, this dessert is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit. And totally gluten free!
Have you ever tried peppermint chocolate cake? If you haven’t, you are seriously missing out. Peppermint is pretty much the perfect pairing when it comes to all things chocolate, and all things holiday. Not to mention, these are totally gluten free, and use one of my favorite ingredients in the entire world (besides for peppermint), coffee! Making these the cupcake equivalent to a big hot cup of peppermint mocha coffee. Does it really get better than that?
Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes are also the perfect treat to bring to a holiday party, office gathering, or even just to share with the family. With so many awesome flavors going on, you won’t even be able to tell they’re gluten free!
Ok, raise your hand if you love the combination of coffee and chocolate.
Ok, good. I’m glad we have that settled. Because coffee and chocolate are pretty much the most perfect pairing since butter and bread. And adding peppermint to the mix just kicks it up about 100 million notches. No, I’m serious. If you don’t believe me, just ask the peppermint patty people how well their candy has done. Really, really well.
Because Chocolate + Coffee + Peppermint = Christmas in A Cupcake.
And it’s not just any cupcake we’re talking about here. Oh, no. This cupcake is 100% gluten free. That’s right, people. Having a fully stocked Christmas dessert table is pretty much the best thing you can have around the holidays, and even better when you know there’s something gluten free you can eat on it! Hooray! Unless you’re my table, then everything on it is gluten free.
Want to know what my favorite part of making cupcakes around the holidays is? It’s that they come in their own little wrapper, which you can get in fun holiday patterns. It makes it really easy to individualize these treats. Plus the decorating! You can crush up peppermint candies here, or even add some festive sugars or sprinkles. They sky is the limit, really. You could even throw a mini candy cane on top here, to really give it the Christmas feel.
Don’t be afraid to get creative!
This recipe is really similar to my gluten free Double Chocolate Cake. In fact, it’s pretty much the same deliciously moist coffee-chocolate cake you’ll find there, but with a few small tweaks. Like the addition of peppermint, candies, and the vanilla frosting. But if what you’re really looking for is piles of chocolate upon chocolate, smothered in more chocolate, then you should head over to that cake immediately. So far, it’s only received rave reviews from both you lovely readers and my family.
(Chocolate + Coffee) – Gluten = The cake that will change your life.
It’s true, and when you add peppermint, it quickly morphs into the cake that will change your life while simultaneously brightening up your holiday. Hooray!
And because the holidays are quickly approaching, you may need more than one dessert to get you through all of those social gatherings coming up. I’ve rounded up a few other gluten free holiday treats for you, just in case Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes aren’t enough!
More Gluten Free Holiday Desserts
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Men Cookies
- Slow Cooker Apple Crisp
- Gluten Free Pie Crust
- Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
And there you have it. Enough gluten free holiday desserts to get you through the busy holiday season! That is, when you run out of peppermint mocha cupcakes, right?
Because chocolate. ♡
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp baking powder double acting
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 8oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Crushed Peppermint Candies or Candy Canes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl combine dry ingredients (gluten free flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt).
- Add wet ingredients (eggs, cream, oil, peppermint extract, vanilla extract).
- Slowly stir in coffee until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour batter evenly into greased cupcake tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before frosting.
- Mix together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add confectioners sugar, a little at a time until all sugar is completely mixed in.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- After cupcakes are frosted, top with peppermint candies.