Lentil and Vegetable Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Hearty lentils paired with savory vegetables are simmered in a flavorful broth and served hot. This comforting Lentil and Vegetable Soup combines the flavors of coriander, cumin, ginger, and allspice perfectly, and is sure to become a staple in your household this winter. It’s so easy to make, and you can use any vegetables you have in your kitchen for this versatile dish.
We’re getting into November now, and the weather has finally taken a turn for the colder. It’s only a matter of time until we’re breaking out the wool scarves, gloves, and down coats.
And in my family, stocking up on the Bailey’s Irish Cream.
During this time, I always crave hearty, warming foods, and this Lentil and Vegetable Soup is simply perfect. It’s the warm-you-to-your-bones kind of meal that you can feel good about serving to your family.
We’re quickly approaching the holidays, with Thanksgiving around the corner and Christmas right behind it. Right now in New York, winter has a certain appeal that includes the promise of magical Macy’s window displays, romantic trips to the Rockefeller Christmas tree, ice skating in central park, and some of the best shopping in the world. No, seriously, the shopping is incredible here. I can probably write an entire post just about that.
But I won’t. Because this is a food blog. And it would cut into my shopping time.
For me, the real magic starts right at home, in the kitchen. The baking, the smell of peppermint or apples and cinnamon, and the warming dinners you create that make your house really smell like a home.
Some people say home is where your heart is. To me, home is where I can get into the kitchen and create something that brings people together.
That’s what magic really is.
While holiday meals are totally awesome and delicious, you still need recipes for all of the days leading up to them. That’s where Lentil and Vegetable Soup comes in.
My kitchen has been full of gluten free holiday cookies, pecan-sugar-filled-goodness, and buttery biscuits. When Andrew and I finally get to the actual holiday dinner, we’re definitely going to crave a pizza instead!
With so much not-necessarily-healthy-but-delicious food in my house, sometimes I need to make something like this lentil and vegetable soup. After a meal of nutritious lentils and veggies, I get the energy I need to make it through the day.
And I mean the real kind of vegetables. While mashed potatoes are technically a vegetable, they don’t really count.
Not to mention, lentil themselves are cheap. Like, really cheap. Like, I got this whole bag for $1, and with some vegetables, it fed my entire family. This used to be a college staple of mine, and I still love it to this day.
I even make it a point to cook a double batch of this lentil and vegetable soup and freeze it, so we’ll have dinner for two nights.
Serve it hot, with your favorite toasty buttery bread on the side.
Toasty, buttery bread, hot soup… Oh, how I love you…
Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch size pieces
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium medium leeks, washed and chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup gluten free certified dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a dutch oven heat olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add all chopped vegetables (parsnips, carrots, leeks, potatoes, celery) and stir. Cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in all spices (bay leaves, salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin, ginger, coriander, allspice, cayenne pepper).
- Add lentils and vegetable broth. Cover dutch oven and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for about 45 minutes, or until lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.