I’ll be honest with you. When it comes to side dishes, I’m never really sure what to make. Sure, you can go by the one protein, one starch, one vegetable rule, but which starch? What vegetable? There are so many to choose from!
So last night while getting ready to prepare dinner, I took some advice from my mother. When in doubt, go with red potatoes. And when you’re tired from working a twelve-hour day, find the fastest, easiest way to prepare them. You know, besides for baked potatoes… That’s just cheating.
Delicious, delicious cheating…
So now, without further adieu, I give you the fruits (erm… vegetables) of my labor: Roasted Rosemary & Thyme Red Potatoes.
These red potatoes are really quick to prepare. Wash ’em, cut ’em, throw on some herbs and get them in the oven. I prefer the herbs listed in the recipe below, but you can add whatever you like.
Then, forget about them for the next 45 minutes.
Some suggested activities while you wait:
Prepare other foods, take pictures of your foods (my favorite option), take pictures of other people’s foods (while ignoring the strange looks they give you, because part of the fun is not telling them you own a food blog), talk to your friends, catch up on Game of Thrones, or just take a nap.
I suggest pairing these red potatoes with other savory recipes, such as this Dijon Crusted Salmon.
Do you have a favorite potato recipe? Let me know in the comments!
- 3 lbs small red potatoes washed
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- cooking spray to grease baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- After thoroughly washing red potatoes and removing any bad spots or eyes with a knife, cut potatoes into quarters and add to large mixing bowl.
- Add garlic powder, rosemary, onion powder, thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil to potatoes.
- Mix all ingredients together until potatoes are evenly covered with oil and herbs.
- Pour potatoes onto a lightly greased baking sheet, spreading them out as much as possible. Place in oven.
- Bake potatoes for 40-45 minutes, or until potatoes look golden brown and a fork goes through them easily.
- Remove from oven and serve while still hot.