BBQ Instant Pot Ribs Recipe – Tender & Juicy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
BBQ Instant Pot Ribs are falling-off-the-bone tender and juicy, and ready in only 45 minutes. Pork spare ribs are rubbed with my homemade pork spice rub, set in the pressure cooker, then smothered in BBQ sauce and finished off under the broiler until lightly charred.
BBQ Instant Pot Ribs Recipe
BBQ Instant Pot Ribs is one of my favorite BBQ recipes of all time, made with a rack of pork spare ribs rubbed with my own blend of spices, then pressure cooked to perfection. You can stop here and dig in, but if you want the full BBQ experience, place them on a baking sheet, smother them in homemade BBQ sauce, then broil for a few minutes to mimic the charred grill texture.
What to Serve With Ribs
How do you remove the membrane from ribs?
If your ribs still have the membrane attached, it is easy to remove yourself. Place the ribs flat with the membrane facing up. Take a small knife and gently move it under the membrane, cutting away from your hand (never towards!). Pull the membrane up and away from the ribs, you can use a paper towel to help you get a better hold of it here.
Some cuts of ribs will already have the membrane removed, while others might still have it on there. If you don’t like to remove it at home, you can ask the butcher to remove it before you take your ribs home. If you don’t remove the membrane, the ribs will turn out chewy and lacking in flavor.
How to Make Instant Pot Ribs
Instant Pot Ribs are one of the no-fail ways I know of to get falling-off-the-bone levels of tender, juicy meat. Followed only by my Slow Cooker BBQ Spare Ribs.
- Lay out your ribs and make sure the membrane is removed. Then rub them up and down with seasoning.
- Cut the ribs into sections that will fit into the instant pot. Place the basket into the instant pot, then pour some apple cider into the bottom.
- Place the ribs standing up into the instant pot, one section next to the other.
- Close and lock the lid and pressure valve, then set the instant pot on high for 25 minutes. Let it release naturally (don’t touch it until the pressure drops by itself, 5-10 minutes). If your ribs are super meaty, make that 35 minutes. The USDA says pork ribs must be cooked to 145F to be safe to consume, in the innermost portion of the meat.
- Broil in the oven if desired.
How To Make Instant Pot Ribs Taste Like They Came Off The Grill
Sure, you can make the ribs in the instant pot, and just go to town on them as soon as they’re done. But if you want the full BBQ effect, and can’t get to a grill, you’re going to want to follow the next steps carefully.
- Remove the ribs from the instant pot. Be very careful to lift them out gently, because they will be falling off the bone. Place them onto a baking sheet.
- Smother them in your favorite BBQ sauce. This step is critical.
- Place the ribs in the oven under the broiler, for 3-5 minutes. Watch them really closely, because the broiler is very hot and we don’t want them to burn.
- Remove the ribs when they reach your desired level of charred, and smother them one more time with BBQ sauce.
More Gluten Free BBQ Recipes To Try
- Best Crockpot BBQ Chicken Thighs Ever
- BBQ Slow Cooker Pork Loin
- Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Smoked BBQ Ribs & Tangy Spice Rub
BBQ Instant Pot Ribs
- 1 rack pork spare ribs, membrane removed
- 2 cups BBQ sauce, gluten free
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Instant Pot
- In a bowl, mix together spices. Evenly rub spices onto both sides of the ribs.
- Pour apple cider into the bottom of the instant pot, and place metal rack into the pot. Cut ribs into sections and place them into the instant pot, standing upright. Close the lid and seal the steam valve. Set on high for 25 minutes, then allow to naturally release.
- Once the ribs are done, pull them out of the instant pot carefully, and lay them on a baking sheet. Brush with BBQ sauce, and broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly charred on the top. Brush with additional BBQ sauce before serving.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.