Easy Sausage and Peppers – in 30 Minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Easy Sausage and Peppers made from Italian sausage, bell peppers, onions, and seasoning is the perfect thing to bring to a potluck, or make in bulk for a party. It comes together in 30 minutes, and reheats well the next day!
Easy Sausage and Peppers
Easy Sausage and Peppers is my go-to recipe when I’m having a party. All you need is Italian sausage (hot or mild, it’s your preference), bell peppers, onions, and some seasoning. It’s REALLY easy to make a big pan of this the day before, then just reheat it in the oven right before serving. I’ve also made this way ahead of time and frozen it, so this sausage and peppers recipe is a real time saver!
What goes with sausage and peppers?
You can serve sausage and peppers with plain rice, gluten free pasta, potatoes, or mashed potatoes. You can also serve this on toasted gluten free baguettes for a sausage and peppers sandwich!
How long do you cook sausage?
This recipe will cook a little faster because we’re cutting the sausage into smaller pieces first, so it will be done in about 10-15 minutes. According to the USDA, you want to cook sausage to 160F minimum for food safety.
How do you reheat sausage and peppers?
Sausage and peppers is the perfect dish to make ahead of time. I usually make this in batches, you can go by the biggest saute pan that you own, and when it’s done I place it in a large tinfoil catering dish. Once it’s full, I’ll put the cover on and wrap it in plastic wrap, then freeze it. Pro Tip: Make sure you label your dishes with a sharpie, if you’re making multiple dishes!
When you want to serve it, take the dish out of the freezer the night before and place it in the refrigerator. Then when you’re ready, bake at 375F for about 30-40 minutes. Stir and make sure the center of the dish heated through before serving. Because this dish has a lot of fat in it naturally from the sausage, I have never had a problem with it drying out before. If you use a leaner cut, you might run into that.
How much sausage and peppers per person?
This really depends on what else you’re serving at the party. If this is the main dish, I would make about 4 ounces of sausage per person. If it’s one of multiple dishes, you can do less. You can always bulk it up with more peppers if you need to, too.
How To Make Sausage and Peppers In The Oven
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place sausage, peppers, and onions on the baking sheet, spread out. Sprinkle with seasoning, and lightly spray with cooking oil (this is mostly for the veggies).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 160F.
Tips For Making This Sausage And Peppers Recipe
- Make sure your sausage is labeled gluten free, because not all of them are!
- You want to use Italian sausage here, but it doesn’t matter if it’s hot or mild. That will be your preference, depending on how hot you like your food. You can also add some cayenne pepper later, if you can only find the mild in the store.
- I like to use different colors of bell peppers, because it adds some nice aesthetics to the dish, but you can use all one color if that’s what you have, it will taste the same.
- Feel free to use a lower fat turkey sausage here, but taste it after the turkey is cooked through and add some olive oil if needed to balance out the dish.
- You can make sausage and peppers and potatoes by adding some small fingerling potatoes to this dish. Just cook the potatoes until they’re just soft, cut them in half, and stir them in at the last minute.
- Leftovers will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, tightly sealed in an airtight container.
- You can add crushed tomatoes if you want some more Italian flavors in here.
More Sausage Recipes To Try!
- Slow Cooker Kale Bean & Sausage Soup
- Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- Bacon Wrapped Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños
- Acorn Squash Stuffed With Turkey Sausage
Easy Sausage and Peppers
- 1 lb Italian sausage links, gluten free, hot or mild, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large bell peppers, any color, sliced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and sausage. Cook until sausage is browned, 10-15 minutes. Remove sausage from pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil, onions, peppers, and spices to the pan and cook until the onions and peppers have softened, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in sausage and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until sausage is heated through.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.