Crispy Air Fryer Salmon
This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our privacy and disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Salmon is both crispy and tender, made with fresh salmon, mayo, dijon mustard, and spices under a breadcrumb topping, ready in only 15 minutes for a quick and easy dinner!
Air Fryer Salmon is one of my favorite quick and easy dinner recipes. It’s minimal cleanup because everything is made in the air fryer, uses simple ingredients, and ready in only 15 minutes! You can make this recipe with other fish like tilapia or grouper, or your favorite fish fillets. It’s crispy on top, with tender salmon fillets on the bottom. It’s the perfect meal for a weeknight!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Salmon – I use sockeye or Atlantic salmon, because that’s what my grocery store carries. It’s also more affordable than other varieties. If you want to learn more about the different types of salmon, check out this guide on Food & Wine.
The most important part is to make sure your salmon is fresh, and cut evenly. This is the key to tender salmon fillets. If one is smaller than the other, it’ll cook faster and one may overcook. The fillets should be around 6-8 ounces each for this recipe.
Dijon Mustard – Dijon is a classic choice for this type of recipe. You can leave the mayo out and use dijon only if you want to save the calories. I’ve also made this using horseradish mustard for a different flavor.
Mayo – The mayo adds a creamy texture that goes really well with the salmon.
Gluten Free Breadcrumbs – I use unseasoned breadcrumbs because I’m adding the seasoning separately. If you use seasoned, you can leave the spices out and just add salt and pepper to taste.
I use gluten free panko breadcrumbs when I can find them.
Spices – I use some basics here, just salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, but you can add your favorite seasonings.
Cooking Oil Spray – After you put the breadcrumbs on the salmon, you want to give it a light spray of olive oil. The air fryer still needs a little bit of oil to make things crispy.
If you don’t have cooking spray, mix the breadcrumbs with a tablespoon of melted butter until they’re wet before adding to the top of the salmon.
Jacqui’s Tip! Depending on where you bought your salmon, you may need to remove the pin bones before cooking with it. Here’s a really great guide on how to do that over at Fine Cooking.
How to Make Air Fryer Salmon
- Cut your salmon into 6-7oz filets. You can leave the skin on the bottom of the filet or remove it, either is fine for this recipe. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Whisk together the mayo and dijon mustard. In a separate bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and spices.
- Use a spoon to spread the dijon mixture evenly over each salmon filet. Then top with breadcrumbs, pressing them down into the dijon lightly (don’t squish the fish!). Spray the breadcrumbs lightly with cooking oil.
- Prep your air fryer with non-stick cooking spray. Carefully place in the air fryer and set for 8-10 minutes at 400°F. If your salmon fillets are thicker, you may need to cook them for 10-12 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure your breadcrumbs aren’t burning.
If you’re making 6 – 7oz salmon filets, they are typically going to take 8-10 minutes at 400°F. It can vary slightly depending on how thick your filets are. You can tell when your fish is done if it flakes easily with a fork.
If your salmon filets are on the small side, start with 7 minutes and add more time as needed. For thicker slices (1 inch thick or more) would be closer to 10-12 minutes.
No, you don’t need to flip salmon in the air fryer. For this recipe specifically, we can’t because of the breadcrumb topping.
Yes you can make frozen salmon in the air fryer. For this recipe, the topping may not work as the salmon defrosts. I would just add some lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cook it from there.
You may need to add an additional 5-7 minutes to the cooking time if the fish starts off frozen, and make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F. But check it at the 10 minute mark to see where it is.
The air fryer is the perfect way to make sure your salmon comes out crispy every time! The key is to add a light coating of oil on the fish, so when the air hits it, it crisps up perfectly.
Jacqui’s Tip! Cooked salmon is perfect in green salad or with cut up zucchini and cucumber for lunch! Try it with my Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing. This goes for any piece of fish you have leftover from dinner the night before.
How to Store Air Fryer Salmon
Store air fryer salmon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I recommend serving this right after cooking, because that is when the salmon will taste the best.
More Air Fryer Recipes and Salmon Recipes
Tips and Tricks
- Cooking salmon can be tricky because it can overcook easily. Watch for your piece of salmon to turn a lighter color on the outside and pink/opaque on the inside. It should also flake easily with a fork.
- Serve with lemon slices on top or lemon wedges on the side, and rice or mashed potatoes with asparagus or broccoli (or your favorite vegetable) for a balanced meal. I also like to top this with fresh parsley and prepare some tartar sauce on the side. You can also serve it on top of a bed of salad.
- If you don’t like to air fry salmon, you can make this same recipe in the oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for baked salmon. Your cooking time may vary but check it at 10 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon chili powder for some heat, or chipotle seasoning for a smoky flavor. You can also use Italian seasoning, chili-lime seasoning, brown sugar, citrus juice, or whatever flavors you’d prefer. Feel free to get creative!
- Cut an avocado into pieces and mix with cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Add a drizzle of olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper. Place the salmon on top for a salmon avocado salad!
If you loved this recipe, be sure to leave a 5 Star review below, and tag me with a photo of your finished recipe on Instagram @Jacqui_DishingDelish!
Air Fryer Salmon
- 4 7oz salmon filets
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 Air Fryer
- Place your salmon filets on a plate and pat them dry with a paper towel. In a separate small bowl, stir together mayo and dijon mustard until well combined. In another small bowl, mix together spices and breadcrumbs.
- Spread the dijon mixture over each salmon filet evenly. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over each salmon. Spray lightly with cooking spray (just to wet the breadcrumbs).
- Place salmon filets in the air fryer. Set for 8-10 minutes at 400°F, or until salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- This recipe works with other types of fish, like tilapia, grouper, mahi mahi, or trout. You may need to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of your filet.
- I like to use gluten free panko breadcrumbs, but regular gluten free breadcrumbs work as well.
- Horseradish mustard works in place of dijon if that’s what you have.
- Add whatever spices you’d like, Italian seasoning works great with this recipe.
- This goes well on a salad, or with rice, gluten free pasta, mashed potatoes, or on top of steamed broccoli.
- If you serve this with pasta, try adding some parmesan on the top.
- Store this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- I don’t recommend freezing salmon once it’s been cooked because the texture won’t be right after reheating.
We are a participant in both the RewardStyle and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and through RewardStyle.