Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup is rich and creamy, made with sweet potatoes, granny smith apples, onion, and savory seasoning. It’s insanely easy to make in the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup is a really simple and easy recipe to make on a weeknight. It’s great as a starter course to something like these oven baked pork chops with apricot glaze, or all by itself with my gluten free buttermilk biscuits, or as a lunch with my greek salad!
I always make this in the slow cooker because you can just throw everything in there and forget about it, but I’ve also included instructions for the stovetop and the instant pot just in case!
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup on the Stove
If you don’t have enough time to set this in the slow cooker, it’s also really easy to make on the stovetop in under 30 minutes!
- Saute the onions in olive oil until they’re caramelized, then whisk in the flour and spices. Continue whisking 2-3 minutes, until the flour turns brown and smells somewhat nutty.
- Stir in the broth, sweet potato, and apple pieces. Cook 5-10 minutes, or until the sweet potato softens.
- Puree with an immersion blender, or carefully ladle into a blender in sections to puree the soup.
- Stir in half and half, top with extra cinnamon and serve.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
Sweet potato soup is also really easy to make in the instant pot in under 20 minutes!
- Turn on the saute feature and saute the onions and olive oil until the onions caramelize. Whisk in the flour and spices, then add the broth, sweet potato, and apple.
- Lock the lid, seal the pressure valve, and cook on High for 10 minutes.
- Once time is up, carefully open the pressure valve. Wear an oven mitt for this part, because hot steam and some liquid will come out of the valve!
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup (or a blender in batches), then stir in half and half and serve.
Tips For Making Sweet Potato Soup
- If you’re going to make this ahead of time, cook the soup until the potatoes are almost done by not quite. Then let it cool and put it in the refrigerator. The potatoes will cook the rest of the way through when you reheat it later to make the rest of the dish.
- You can add any fall spices you’d like to this sweet potato soup. I stuck with classics like cinnamon, but you can also try ginger or curry seasoning.
- You can swap the apple in this recipe out for carrots if you want to make a sweet potato carrot soup. Or add both carrots and apples!
- You can use heavy cream in place of half and half in this recipe. Whole milk will work too, but it won’t be quite as creamy as half and half or cream.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to give this sweet potato soup a little heat.
- If you want this soup to be less thick, leave out the flour and add a few more tablespoons of half and half or broth until you have the desired consistency.
- If you want vegetable chunks in the soup, reserve a cup of them on the side while you puree the rest of the dish, then stir them back in at the end.
Can you make sweet potato soup ahead of time?
One of the things I love about this sweet potato soup recipe is that you can make it in the slow cooker, and if you set it on low that gives you about 6-8 hours before it’s done. But if you want to make this way ahead of time, you can do that, too.
I would make this soup, then stop right before you add the half and half, and the potatoes are still a little bit undercooked.
Let it cool, then place the non-pureed soup in tightly-sealed Tupperware and refrigerate or freeze. When you’re ready to serve, reheat, then add the half and half and puree with the immersion blender.
How long can you refrigerate sweet potato soup?
Sweet potato soup will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, tightly sealed. Reheat in a saucepan on the stove, stirring often until it’s warm enough.
More Soup & Stew Recipes To Try
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat Recipe
- Paleo Butternut Squash Soup in a Slow Cooker
- Gluten Free Chicken & Dumplings
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup in 30 Minutes
- Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup is rich and creamy, made with sweet potatoes, granny smith apples, onion, and savory seasoning. It's insanely easy to make in the slow cooker!
- 5 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 large Vidalia onion peeled and sliced
- 1 large granny smith apple cored and cubed
- 3 cups vegetable broth gluten free
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Add all ingredients (except for half and half) into the slow cooker. Cook on High for 3-4 hours, or on Low for 6-8 hours. When the potatoes are soft, use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables. Stir in half and half, top with extra cinnamon, and serve.
Click on the time in the instructions to start a timer!